DECA hold volleyball event

March 28, 2022

The energy is palpable in the gymnasium. The crowd excitedly shouts for their team, and students laugh with friends in between matches. After a successful first event in October, DECA came together to put on another activity for students. On March 3, the DECA students hosted a volleyball tournament in the Central High gym to raise money for their teammates to go to the national DECA competition. 

Senior, and DECA participant, Kate Vokal, said, “From the feedback we got, everyone wanted us to host another tournament. We got several ideas for what to do, but we eventually decided that volleyball was the fan favorite. Even though it was to help fund nationals, it’s still a fun event for people at Central to participate in. Especially because there isn’t anything like this.” 

In addition, DECA members used their last event to help plan for the volleyball tournament. The event utilized the skills that students learned in their class, and it made the process of the tournament better from all standpoints. 

“It went a lot smoother compared to the dodgeball tournament. Mostly because of having that experience from before. We noticed from the dodgeball tournament that we needed a lot more people as helpers. So, we had someone in my class assign roles. Some of us were court managers, some of us were selling cookies, someone was handling check-in, and it really worked out this time,” stated Vokal when asked about how the tournament went on the DECA side. 

Prior to the day of the tournament, teams were required to register and pay a fee of fifty dollars split amongst the members. There were sixteen teams in total, and each had a different theme. Vokal said that wearing all black, and jerseys were a popular choice amongst teams. 

“We had a winner and losers’ bracket, so each team got to play at least two times, and the game for the finale was best two out of three. We also included a team of teachers because we figured that people would want to compete with their teachers,” said Vokal. 

The DECA students set up the gym so that three different games were able to be played at the same time. Vokal expressed that this was essential in making the event time efficient. When there were fewer teams, they would slowly cut down to two nets until they reached the final. 

“We wanted everyone to have a good time, and part of that was making sure that everyone got to play twice. People took it really seriously, but I think it went very smoothly in the end,” said Vokal. 

Spectators were also able to attend by paying a small entrance fee. The stands were filled with friends, family, and significant others of those who were on the court. One of which, senior, Anna Tiritilli, came to support her boyfriend. 

“It’s not just fun for the people who are playing in the tournament. I really just enjoyed hanging out with my friends and participating in something with Central. It was nice to see Nolan get into the game, but it’s also a little bit embarrassing,” explained Tiritilli. 

Because of the positive feedback from spectators and participants about the volleyball tournament, Vokal mentioned that DECA would be trying to hold one more of these events before the end of the school year. 

Vokal’s final comment was, “I hope that next time, when we do more things like this, people will come and watch and want to sign up for the next event. I think it’s a great way to get involved and be with your friends. It’s a good bonding experience, and it’s just a great time. 

$975
$1500