Girls wrestling district championships

April 28, 2022

The girls wrestling team traveled to Nebraska City High School to compete in the first-ever girls district wrestling tournament Feb 4. All seven members attended and wrestled at the meet. Central’s
team had girls in six weight classes. Out of the 25 schools in attendance, Central placed fourteenth and had one wrestler qualify for state as well as win first-place in her weight class.

Matches were held over the course of two days, with finals finishing on Saturday the 5. The district tournament determined which athletes would achieve qualification to participate in the first
ever NSAA Girl’s State Wrestling Championship tournament, happening later this month. To qualify, wrestlers had to be ranked top three in their weight class at districts. Those who won first place in their weight class at districts will automatically win their first match at the next tournament, giving them a major advantage.

All athletes wrestled in the first round of the tournament, but only a few proceeded on to the next day’s rounds of the quarter finals, semi-finals, and finals. Despite the chances, a total of two Central
girls moved on to the second day of matches.
“It was amazing to win my matches. […] I am so grateful to have wrestled this season, and I can’t wait until next year!” replies sophomore Ashlyn Corneas-Marquez, one of the athletes to make it
to day two of the competition. The second athlete, Angie Rose, not only continued to the finals, but won all her matches during the finals. Rose won first place in her weight class and became Central’s first ever female wrestler to qualify for state.
“My experience this season has been great… I think I have improved a substantial amount since last year,” says sophomore, and first place winner, Angie Rose.

The team has worked for months practicing and competing in meets in preparation for districts. The team has a total of seven wrestlers including Ashlyn Corneas-Marquez, Angie Rose, Alsafa and Almarwa Alkhalil, Paw Hobza, Saw Moe and Sylvia Barns. These girls are referred to by many as the original, or “OG” seven girls wrestling team members. As the season comes to an end for some, they reflect on their time being part of Central’s first girls wrestling team.
“Being a part of the team brought a lot of new opportunities and experiences. We learned a lot from our amazing coaches, and I’m happy I got to be part of the OG seven.” Says sophomore, Almarwa Alkhalil who is excited for the upcoming wrestling seasons. Her twin sister, Alsafa, adds.

“It feels like we have created a pathway in wrestling for future generations of women, and I hope we have inspired other girls to join a predominately male led sport.” The girls have inspired many
around them, including their coaches who are extremely proud of their accomplishments this season.
“They improved every time they stepped on the mat. […] They have inspired me, and I think they have
inspired everyone that has come in contact with them. The girls were given an opportunity and they
took full advantage of it,”coach Jimmie Foster said.

$975
$1500

$975
$1500