Society’s increasing dependence on technology

April 28, 2022

Covid has impacted our lives in many ways, especially in school. For months, instead of students going to a building to get their education, students stayed home and used an iPad to join class through various Teams meetings. Now, school is beginning to feel normal because most students are back and attending school in person. However, some aspects from online school still remain.

Since going back to school completely in-person, worksheets, notes, quizzes and tests have continued to be online for most students. Instead of writing down notes in a notebook from a teacher’s PowerPoint, most teachers have opted to share their presentations with students. Instead of flipping through textbooks, students hit an arrow in the corner of a screen to get to the next page. Teachers once handed out printed worksheets, but now they assign pdfs distributed through an online notebook. Also, when choosing next year’s classes, instead of receiving physical brochures, now students scan QR codes to access a digital version. Lastly, before teachers assign a worksheet, they ask if everyone can access the online copy.

The school’s increasing dependence on digital recourses may make things easier for students, but it feels as though we spend our lives on a screen. Technological advancements have created less opportunities for in-person social interactions. We use phones as a main form of entertainment and communication. We drown out others with wireless headphones, and scroll for hours on social media. According to CNN, prior to the pandemic, the average American teen spent more than seven hours on a screen daily. This number has likely increased since then due in part to online school.
The long term health risks of screen time are not completely understood, but some doctors believe too much can be harmful. Doctors warn screens can hurt your eyes, shorten attention spans and even disrupt sleep. A study conducted by Insider found those who read digital books before going to bed produced less than half the amount of melatonin than those who read physical books. Although there may be health risks with screens, society continues to advance by incorporating more and more technology in everyday life.

As society continues to increase its digital dependence, electronics are becoming more of a daily necessity than ever before. Screens are so prevalent now that there is no way to avoid them, even if you try to. Many jobs require looking at computer screens for hours, many restaurants only have online menus and many people’s main form of communication is through texts or social media. As the world becomes increasingly digital, the less interactions we will have with others. Students and teachers have had to adapt faster to technology than they would with out the pandemic. While there are many advantages and disadvantages to the increasing use of online technology in society, it will be beneficial for students to have greater digital awareness before graduating.

$975
$1500

$975
$1500