Big Green Q food truck review

May 2, 2022

Summer is just around the corner, as the season’s warmer weather begins to draw Omahans from their winter at-home hibernation, one should consider dining at one of our city’s many fine food truck establishments. Dining options in our metropolis range from vegan street food to churro trucks to contemporary twists on traditional BBQ. Big Green Q, located at 5402 S 108th Street, describes itself as “a green truck using old world cooking with fire & smoke to transform hormone and antibiotic free meats, locally sourced veggies and tofu, into tasty eats” and is a truck truly worth a stop for all looking to broaden their horizons.

Many may turn away from food truck dining because they may see no point in driving to buy food from an establishment that offers no space to enjoy the meal one just purchased. Big Green Q has such patron concerns covered. The truck is parked at Trucks and Taps Omaha, a former Sonic drive thru that has since been renovated to provide an outside dining area for patrons of resident food trucks Modern Waffle, Big Green Q, The Dine Lion and Burning Bridges. The dining area is functional and offers atmosphere with speakers that played classical interpretations of modern-day hits, which gave me the sense that I was living out the plot of Bridgerton while I enjoyed my Sunday morning meal.

The food itself was also quite delicious. The establishment’s menu includes options of classic sandwiches, sides, French toasts, and huevos rancheros all with a slightly modern twist. I enjoyed an order of adult French toast which was made with ciabatta bread and grilled mandarin oranges, as well as sampling from an order of kids French toast, classically made, and an order of huevos rancheros. Personally, I enjoyed the huevos rancheros the best, due to the delicious spices and quality of food used to prepare the dish. The kids French toast was also very good due to the

fluffy brioche bread used. However, my own order of adult French toast ended up being my least favorite dish because personally, I do not find grilled fruit on French toast appealing.

While the establishment may not have offered a large atmospheric indoor dining space, their prices are certainly similar to many of Omaha’s more upscale restaurants. The total for my three dishes was around $40, which is personally too costly for me to make Big Green Q a regular in my life. However, the establishment is committed to sustainability in their business practices and uses quality ingredients for all their dishes. They allow substitutions to make their meals accessible for all patron’s dietary needs, whether that be vegetarian, vegan, gluten free or lactose intolerant. Therefore, when I have leftover cash in my paycheck, I will definitely be eating at Big Green Q again.

$975
$1500

$975
$1500