CODA movie review

May 2, 2022

Will Smith’s slap wasn’t the only surprise at this year’s Academy Awards. The movie “CODA” was awarded the Oscar for Best Picture, Best Adapted Screenplay and Best Supporting Actor. This Oscar-winning movie is a coming-of-age comedy and drama written and directed by Sian Heder.

“CODA” is an acronym for child of deaf adults, which perfectly describes the plot. The movie takes place in Gloucester, Massachusetts and is about seventeen-year-old Ruby Rossi. Ruby is the only hearing member in her family of four and has the responsibility of interpreting between her family and the outside world. As a full-time high school student, Ruby struggles to find time for things she enjoys. She is constantly torn between following her dream to sing and continuing to translate for the family’s fishing business.

“CODA,” a remake of the 2014 French movie “La Famille Bélier,” was filmed in Gloucester, Massachusetts. “CODA” first premiered at the Sundance Film Festival on Jan. 28, 2021 and was released to theaters six months later on Aug. 13, 2021. Now, “CODA” is being shown in theaters and is also available to stream on Apple TV.

“CODA” is a groundbreaking film that highlights the Deaf community and the struggles they face daily. In “CODA,” Ruby’s family members, played by Troy Kotsur, Marlee Matlin and Daniel Durant, are all Deaf in real life. Troy Kotsur won Best Supporting Actor for his role as Ruby’s father. Kotsur is now the second Deaf actor to receive an Oscar award. Marlee Matlin, who plays Ruby’s mom in CODA, won an Oscar in 1987 for her role in “Children of a Lesser God,” making her the first Deaf person to receive an Oscar.

The main character, Ruby, is played by Emilia Jones, an aspiring British actor from London. After auditioning and later receiving the part of Ruby, the actress had to learn sign language, an American accent and how to sing. Jones had never sung before the audition and was totally unfamiliar with sign language. However, Jones was able to learn the skills in under nine months while working 75-hour weeks filming the Netflix show, “Lock and Key.”

All in all, the movie “CODA” is an amazing film that gives viewers a perspective into the lives of Deaf Americans. Rotten Tomatoes gives the film a 94% with a 4.8-star review. “CODA” should definitely be on your movie watch list. The motion picture deserves all the awards it has already won and more.

$975
$1500

$975
$1500