Calista Perkins commits to play basketball at Peru State

“What really pushed me to start putting in the work was getting cut from my middle school team in seventh grade. Once I got to high school, I became even more motivated. Only my family and friends believed in me, and I even got told I wasn’t college ball material. I wanted to prove them wrong,” Perkins said.

May 3, 2022

Calista Perkins is no stranger to the game of basketball. She has been playing since she was eight, and has faced adversity ever since that has fueled her drive. Now she is committed to Peru State, and pursing her dreams of playing basketball at a higher level.

Perkins admits that Central has played a pivotal role in her career, both in and out of the classroom. “My time at Central has helped me develop and improve so I can get to this point. I will take the advice I got from coaches, and use them to develop me more as a player and person.”

Perkins did not get to this point as a player easily. She reflects on the many blockades in her path that have only motivated her more.

Coach Michael Kroupa has coached Perkins for the past three years, and has seen her exponential growth as a player. “What Calista did for the team stood out to a lot of recruiters. She could get in the game and have an affect with her role on and off the court, even if she just got a few minutes,” Kroupa said.

Being recruited by three different colleges, Perkins had no hesitation when picking Peru State as it is reminiscent of Central. “Coaches were disciplined and focused on academics before the sport. It had a really welcoming environment, and I could genuinely see myself there,” Perkins stated.

In her time at college, Perkins plans to study sports marketing and management with a minor in journalism. She already feels well adapted to the players and coaching staff, and is looking forward to orientation in June. “It’s the perfect fit for me. I was able to be myself around everyone at the visit, and
really felt at home.”

Although Kroupa loves to tease his players, it is evident how much he cares about them. He’s loved having Perkins as an athlete, but is excited to be able to witness her next chapter.

“Calista puts in all the extra work, whereas a lot of players I think play the game socially. She does it because she really loves it. I think Peru State is an excellent fit for her. As excited as I am to see Calista play the next four years at Peru I’m more excited to see what she’s doing in ten years,” Kroupa said. “Her mentality will allow her to be good at anything she wants. We’ve loved having her a part of the program here at Central, but are excited to see her develop at the next level.”

$975
$1500

$975
$1500