Nolan Gray’s hard work earns him a Division One swimming scholarship

After what was another successful season of swimming here at Central, it was time for the seniors to decide what it was they wanted to do post-high school. For swimming standout, Nolan Gray it was an easy choice.

May 5, 2022

“I chose UNO because I never really had any aspirations to go too far from home,” said Gray. “I wanted to stay… close to friends and family.”

But it was beyond the location, UNO presented itself as a prestigious, Division One, Midwest swimming program.

“My biggest attraction to UNO was the introduction of the men’s swim team,” said Gray.

The newly founded program offered itself as a way for Gray to pursue his swimming at the next level, and he took that opportunity. But providing himself with the opportunity to swim at a high level was not a one man job nor easy.

“(The summer going into my senior year) I trained harder then I ever had before,” said Gray.

That training led him into what he considered to be his best year of high school swimming, which resulted in achieving numerous personal records and team success.

“My senior year was easily my best year, as I had achieved five individual cut times and three relay cut times.”said Gray. “(But achieving that) wouldn’t be possible without my club coaches ay iNspire, Thor Larsen, and my coaches at Central, coach Berzins and Smith.”

But the climb to this point started long before the Central swim team for Nolan Gray.

“I’ve had the drive to get better at swimming ever since I joined club swimming at (age) ten,” said Gray. “Those feelings only intensified when I went into high school.”

He set himself apart from his first year in the program, showing great potential as a swimmer since his freshman year. Ultimately it was the work Nolan put in, and the support of his loved ones that got him to this point.

“I wouldn’t have been able to achieve this without the love and support of my family, especially my mom and dad,” said Gray. “The amount of time and money they spent on buying equipment, driving to meets, and paying for practice is what allowed me to continue my time in this sport and reach new levels.”

Humble, hardworking and extremely talented is three ways you could describe Nolan Gray. His time as an eagle will be remembered not only for his time in the pool, but also because of the impact he had on the Central community.

Nolan plans to study architectural engineering while swimming at UNO, and hopes to land with an engineering firm in Nebraska before he graduates.

Nolan Gray is merely another example of eagle excellence.

$975
$1500

$975
$1500