The student news website of Omaha Central High School

Foods not to give your dogs

May 26, 2022

For dog owners, our fluffy little friends hold a special place in each one of our hearts. We want to do anything and everything to make them happy. Sometimes that means giving them human food treats, but that can come with risks. Below is a list of foods not to flick off the table to your dogs, despite their cute faces, because doing so could make them sick. 

Chocolate and coffee– Both foods have methylxanthines, which are stimulants that can stop a dog’s metabolic process. What results is vomiting and diarrhea, panting, excessive thirst and urination, hyperactivity, abnormal heart rhythm, tremors, seizures and even death at times. Darker chocolate is more dangerous than milk chocolate. White chocolate has the lowest level of methylxanthines, while baking chocolate contains the highest. 

Gum and candyThese can cause choking or blockages in the digestive system. Hard candies can also fracture your dog’s teeth. Ingesting xylitol, which is in most candy, can result in low blood sugar, seizure and liver failure in dogs. 

Sugary foods and drinks– Weight gain, tooth decay and diabetes can happen to dogs, just like humans, if they eat too much processed sugar.  

Bones– This can be very dangerous because of risk of choking or bone splintering inside your dog’s stomach. Bones can also become lodged in or puncture your pet’s digestive tract. 

Milk or dairy products– Milk from a different animal can make dogs sick. There are sugars and fatty acids in cow and goat milk that dogs don’t have the enzymes to digest properly. 

Grapes and raisinsThe consumption of any form of this fruit can cause kidney failure in dogs. 

Macadamia nuts– These can cause weakness, depression, vomiting, tremors and hyperthermia. 

AvocadosAvocados have a strain of fatty acid called persin, which is toxic to dogs in large quantities. 

Onions and garlicThese can cause anemia in your dog by killing red blood cells. Gastrointestinal irritation may also occur. 

SaltA lot of salt can lead to dehydration and even sodium ion poisoning. A little bit of salt is fine but watch how much is eaten by your dog. 

The Register • Copyright 2022 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Donate to The Register
$540
$500
Contributed
Our Goal