Pyfrom gains Power Five offers after superstar junior year

One year ago, junior Caleb Pyfrom was a backup offensive tackle. This fall he is one of the top football prospects in Nebraska with Division I offers to Nebraska, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State and Missouri.  

“The difference between this year and last year was really just the amount of work I put in,”  Pyfrom said. “I worked hard in the offseason because I knew it was my turn to step up on the field and be that guy.” 

Pyfrom first started playing football in seventh grade for his middle school. Before football he had played basketball and continues to play today for Central. Pyfrom is also a thrower for the track team.  

“I enjoy taking part in multiple sports,” Pyfrom said. “I get a week off after football season then head straight into basketball.” 

Pyfrom said he spent the summer between his sophomore and junior year working on approving his agility and strength.  

“I got more experience on the field because I worked harder than I ever had before in the off season,”  Pyfrom said. “I knew before the season had even started that this would be a good year for me because of all my hard work in the offseason.” 

Head football coach Jay Landstrom said he noticed all the hard work Pyfrom put in this summer to improve his game. 

“He put in a lot of work and really proved himself,” Landstrom said. “He went from a sophomore who didn’t start to a junior who started every game and is being recruited by Division I schools.” 

Pyfrom is currently rated as a three-star recruit and the 54th ranked player at his position in the country. He is the third offensive lineman from Central to receive a Division I offer in the past two years. 

“Central has so much success on the offensive line because of the great coaches,”  Pyfrom said. “They push us to keep working and make it to the next level.” 

As far as the recruiting process goes, Pyfrom is in the beginning stages. Although he has five DI offers he hasn’t taken any official visits to any schools.  

Pyfrom said he enjoys the recruiting process, especially getting to talk with the coaches.  

“Coaches first follow me on Twitter, then I get invited to go watch a game on campus,”  Pyfrom said. “After getting to talk with the coach they give you a offer then try and stay in touch with you once a week to check in on you.” 

Pyfrom, an honor student taking AP classes, said he does not have a favorite school yet. He wants to attend a college with strong academics that can prepare him for his future outside of the playing field. 

“I won’t always have football, so I’m not going to decide a school based only on that,”  Pyfrom said. “I want to go to a school that can set me up with a good career when football is over.” 

Pyfrom was wearing Missouri, Kansas, and Nebraska wristbands as well as a Central football wristband, indicating he is far from making a decision. Pyfrom hopes to make a decision some time during senior football season.