Central offers homework help in the library

Sophie Youngs

Homework help in the library is an all-inclusive program, offering Central High School students an opportunity to get extra support in their classes. 

Central High’s homework help in the library program, takes place every Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday from 3:15 p.m. to 4:15 p.m. This program gives students access to Math, English, English Learners, French, Spanish and Science tutoring. Homework help in the library also gives students a chance to make up missing work. The program is funded by the Central High School Foundation and managed by librarian Beth Wilson.  

This way of learning is great for students who may benefit from getting content presented in a different way, or outside of the classroom. It has helped many students gain a deeper understanding of current content without all the extra stress. 

“It gives them a place to come to work through it in a different environment,” Wilson said.  

Wilson has been managing this program for about 10 years and has proven to be a perfect fit for the role. She applies for CHS Foundation grants, hires and pays teachers, markets the program, and makes grant reports.  

Teacher Mary Royers is one of the many teachers participating in this program, tutoring EL students. She ultimately decided to participate in tutoring because she thought it would be a good deed and wanted to leave school on a positive note. Royers has had lots of student traffic tutoring this year and admires the work that the program does with providing an equal opportunity for all. 

“Students can be in the (International Baccalaureate) program and have private tutors, but students can also be paying their own rent, and working full time and getting a free tutor after school, and I think that’s a really powerful thing,” Royers said. 

Royers has always loved communicating with her students and finds it inspiring to see just how hardworking they are, especially after school in the homework help program.   

“I find it to be like a really inspiring way to end my day, to see all the students who are working super, super hard” Royers said.  

Many people who have taken part in this program complement its uniqueness. 

“We really look at this as a special program that is not like any other in the school,” Wilson said.