Is my body a distraction?

The foundation of almost every dress code is to stop girls from wearing clothes that are too distracting to the boys. Some of the universal rules are: no spaghetti strap tank tops, your shorts must be past the length of your fingertips, no tights or anything that is tight to the skin, and Central’s newest addition to the dress code, “Students must be fully clothed, with a covered torso and shoes.” 

But why did the administration just now enforce this rule after it not being an issue for many years prior? 

Along with the sexist ideals of the dress code, most of the rules and regulations are directly related to women’s clothing. With the fashion popular today, this makes the situation more about accessibility. If a teenager walks into any popular store, such as Urban Outfitters, American Eagle or Hollister, the mannequins are either wearing an oversized T-shirt or a crop top. Those are also the only clothes the stores tend to be stocked with because that is what is “in” right now. And with low-rise jeans making a comeback, even a shirt that is normal length will show your torso.  

“Your personal appearance is basically a concern of you and your parent(s)/guardian(s).” Yet, there are still rules in the Student Code of Conduct about what you can and cannot wear. I see people in spandex, bralettes, hats and even dog collars walking around school without a worry in the world because no one is going to stop them. But anytime you walk into the cafeteria or courtyard for lunch, girls to the left and right are getting dress-coded for wearing crop tops.  

I mean, seriously, when I am walking through the hallways and I see a boy sagging his pants halfway down to the floor, I am going to be way more distracted than if I see a little bit of a girl’s stomach. I understand that the administration is trying to reduce the number of distractions in the classroom. But if someone is paying more attention to my appearance than their work, why should I be punished?