Levy, Yale to lead The Register as co-editors

Charlie Yale and Ella Levy will lead The Register this year, having been appointed by advisor Broderick Hilgenkamp. Levy will focus on the print side, while Yale will focus on the web side.   

The idea of having two editors came to Hilgenkamp after the application process.   

“They both did a good job of staying on top of what they were supposed to do and provided strong ideas,” Hilgenkamp said. “I knew the two of them would work well together and be a good fit.” 

Both Levy and Yale got involved in the school newspaper during their freshman year.   

“We had Intro to Journalism together,” Levy said. “In a way, it’s a full circle moment, moving from just staff writers to now running the newspaper together.”  

Sophomore year, Yale worked as the web editor and Levy was a staff writer.  Junior year, Yale was the sports editor and Levy was the opinion editor.  

Levy and Yale are involved in many activities at Central. Yale is president of the Amnesty International club, a debate captain and a broadcaster for Central athletics. Levy is on the varsity tennis team, National Honors Society’s Communication Officer and a senior class representative.  

“Being part of so many different parts of Central connects me with so many different people,” Levy said. “As an editor, I’m hoping to connect different people with The Register.” 

Last year, Yale wrote an article with a fellow staff member on LB575, which bans transgender athletes from playing high school sports in Nebraska.  

“This was my proudest moment from last year,” Yale said. “I got to talk to senators, which helped me gain more experience listening to people with varying opinions.” 

Levy’s proudest moment of last year was the application process for editor in chief.  

“Having the confidence to try and put myself out there for editor was the highlight of last year,” Levy said. “I put a lot of hard work in the application process, and it paid off.”   

Levy’s goal this year is to make everyone on the staff feel welcome and excited to tell stories. 

“We will be holding staff meetings every month where we will talk about the positives and things that need to be changed as well as name a writer of the month,” Levy said. “Bonding like this will help everyone know they can go to each other and feel more accomplished.” 

Yale agreed with Levy and said, “Ultimately, the goal is to get six issues out this year, all with 20 pages.” “The future is very bright for The Register this year and beyond.”