The Register

The Register

The Register

Brotherly competition is driving Central’s cross-country team

Mercier Cerasoli broke the Central boy’s freshman record in the 5K at 18 minutes, 6.98 seconds during the Augustana Twilight. This record was set by his brother Rocco Cerasoli two years ago. The brothers are the two fastest on the team, and based on their season, they could possibly earn a berth at state.  

“Rocco and Mercier really bring the best out of each other when they’re competing, both in practice and in meets. Both have a tremendous amount of talent, and they push each other while maintaining a healthy and constructive rivalry,” Varsity Cross Country Coach John Morley said. 

Rocco Cerasoli is currently running 17:41 in the 5K, the team’s fastest time. He began the season running an 18:56, and since then, he has already dropped over a minute. Mercier’s first race at 18:06 was his fastest, but for a freshman, he is within the top six of Central’s fastest freshmen since the existence of the program. 

Mercier Cerasoli said, “I enjoy running with my brother; he is a good competition, and that motivates both of us to run faster.”  

This type of brotherly competition reflects the rest of the team. Rocco Cerasoli said, “Being with the team before and after races is always fun, and it is the best part of the race.” 

Qualifying for state is a possibility for these brothers. To qualify, one needs to make the top 15 at districts. Rocco Cerasoli is averaging placing in the 20s, and Mercier Cerasoli has been placing in the 40s at their meets. Rocco finished 34th at the Metro Conference Cross Country Championships Thursday at 17:53, while Mercier finished 59th at 18:46. 

Morley said that both brothers are continuing to make the sacrifices necessary to continue improving.  

Adding Mercier to the mix this year has truly benefited both brothers,” Morley said. “They have each run impressive times this year, but what Coach [Jared] Givens and I have really enjoyed seeing is the kind of teammates they have become. They cheer not only each other on but lift everyone up around them with both their actions and their words of encouragement.”