The Register

The Register

The Register

Freshman Cross-Country Runner Makes Central History

For the first time in four years, a Central runner made state cross-country. Freshman Sadie Osher was not only the only runner to do this but is the fastest freshman in Central’s history.  

Osher ran cross country in middle school, and that’s when she was first appeared on Head Coach Trent Lodge’s radar.  

“From when I saw her race in sixth and seventh grade, I knew she had a lot of potential,” he said.  

Going into the season, Lodge’s goals were to qualify the team for state and if not the team, then as many individuals as possible.  

Osher had similar goals going into her first high school season. “My goals were to make it to state and to go under 20,” referring to running a 5-kilometer race in under 20 minutes.  

Preparation for the fall season began in June. The team met four to five times a week to run together and condition. Osher personally prepared through her middle school involvement and “just working hard.”  

In every meet Osher participated in this year, she placed in the top 20, and even placed first at the Central Invitational.  

At districts, Osher finished in 20 minutes and two seconds, placing eigth and just two seconds shy of her sub-20 goal. This not only made her the fastest freshman in Central girls’ cross-country history, but it also secured her spot at state.  

“I got nervous before state, but it was still pretty exciting,” Osher said.  

At state, Osher placed 29th and ran a 20:38.8.  

Lodge noted her dedication to the sport. “She has a lot of pure passion for running, she is very dedicated.”  

Osher is looking forward to track in the spring and already has big ambition for that as well. “I am hoping to qualify for state in track too… and run under a 20” in her 5k.