Kight back at Central

State champion and star receiver James Kight is back at Central. The former starter was recently hired as the special teams coach following Terrance Mackey from Benson.

“I knew I wanted to come back to Central,” Kight said. “I enjoy being home.”

Kight has a long history at Central – as a multi-generation legacy student, he explained he was glad to be back at 20thand Dodge.

“My mom went here, all my aunts and my siblings all went to Central,” Kight said. “It’s a family school, I met my wife here and we sent our son here.”

Kight’s son, Daryle Hawkins graduated from Central in 2009 where he helped them to state title playing for his father.

“It was great coaching my son,” Kight said. “I got to see him grow as a player and person while I was being a coach and a father to him.”

After high school, Hawkins played wide receiver at the University of Oregon.

“I loved seeing him follow his dreams,” Kight said. “It’s always great to see when your children are more successful than you in their sport.”

Hawkins has since graduated from Oregon and has worked for Nike.

Kight worked alongside Terrance Mackey at Benson and jumped on the opportunity to come back to Central.

“And after my first game this fall at Central, I knew I made the right decision returning,” Kight said. “It feels like how high school football should feel, the band is always playing, and the student section is always packed.”

Kight works with the kickers, punters, and returners, a part of the game that often goes underappreciated.

“The kids are great,” Kight said. “It’s not often that a school get three incredible kickers that all get to play.”

The Eagles finished the season 4-5 after a 1-9 finish in 2022.