The 10 best summer songs

Steven Dickerson
The album covers of the ten best summer songs.

As we approach the wonderful months of summer, we often switch up the music we listen to in order to match the sunny, easy-going vibes that accompany summer. Here are the 10 best summer songs of all time that you should listen to this summer, based on the criteria used for what makes a good summer song. 

We’ll start with the criteria, which are quite basic. First, a good summer song should have an addicting, vibrant beat, the kind that races through your head constantly. A beat that is created with bright-sounding instruments, like trumpets, electric guitars, drums and synths, fits summer songs very well.  

Secondly, it should have catchy or memorable lyrics, ones that you would randomly blurt out when hanging out with friends or lyrics you would scream out the window of a car on the highway — songs with words that go together and tell a story. 

Finally, it should be a song that works in many different summer-esque settings. The song should be compatible with all summer situations, like the pool. Without this versatility, a summer song fails to have the same level of broad excitement.  

Now, to the list of songs that best fit these criteria, in no particular order. 

1: “Sundress” by A$AP Rocky. This two-minute, 38-second psychedelic pop song might be one of the best songs created in general and fits the ideal summer song, thanks to its brightness. The song samples Tame Impala’s 2010 combination pop-rock song “Why Won’t You Make Up Your Mind,” a great song in its own right. However, Rocky rocked this sample by using his unexpectedly calm, soothing vocals over its repetitive rhythm. The vocals are spectacular and the lyrics addicting; in them, Rocky describes his love for Rihanna. The song also includes a small portion of rap, which is Rocky’s typical genre, and adds a nice trap feeling that satisfies his usual song style. It is a creative masterpiece that perfectly encapsulates a great summer song. 

2: “Hood Gone Love It” by Jay Rock and Kendrick Lamar. Fans of the video game “Grand Theft Auto: Five” might recognize this marvelous rap song, as it is featured in the game and its many trailers. Rock and Lamar as a duo means that whatever comes out of the studio is about to bless your ears (the duo created the very popular song “Money Trees” as well). This song is one that does a fantastic job of a song you’d hear in the background when waking up on a beautiful, hot June morning where the birds are chirping. It’s exactly what Rock and Lamar wanted from the song lyrics, which describe what summers were like when they were growing up in Compton, California. The four-minute, five-second song samples the 1974 song “Easy Days” by The Pointer Sisters. They sampled it very well, using the 1974 song’s intro as their own intro and then the background mix to their song. Overall, it’s a great summer song that deserves at least a brief listen.  

3: “Sweet Talk” by Saint Motel. This three-minute, 12-second song is an indie pop song that can easily excite. Its interestingly diverse use of brass instruments, clapping and addictive guitar riffs create an image of coastal waters and a sandy beach. The comforting vocals tell a love story that focuses on appreciating the little things. The wonderful instrumental and touching lyrics help cement “Sweet Talk” as a summer song staple that warrants a listen.   

4: “Latch” by Disclosure and Sam Smith. Perhaps one of the most recognizable songs for Generation Z, “Latch” peaked at number seven on the Billboard Hot 100 back in August 2014. Since then, the song has been popularized even more thanks to its versatile style of dance-pop/house music that can be played in many settings like clubs, workplaces, cars and pools. The groove of the song just makes you want to move. The chorus is a captivating and immersive experience featuring changes in beats and impressive synth work. The lyrics, performed by a pre-decline Smith, describe what it feels like to be obsessed with others and figuratively latching to them. “Latch” isn’t just a song; it’s an experience, one that many will be guaranteed to scream loudly when their windows are down this summer. 

5: “Favorite Song” by Chance the Rapper and Childish Gambino (Donald Glover). The three-minute, five-second stimulating, tropical-vibe rap song from 2013 samples the 1971 song “Clean Up Woman” by Betty Wright perfectly. Chance’s exciting tenor vocals combined with Glover’s catchy rapping create memorable lyrics that you could randomly recite. The beat can be described as nothing short of astounding, and it’s a song that works in many situations and makes you feel like the main character. The vocals, the melody, and its versatility all accurately match the characteristics of an extraordinary summer song, showing why “Favorite Song” will really be one of your favorite songs this summer.  

6: “Champagne Coast” by Blood Orange. With the word “coast” being in the song title and the album it’s on being named “Coastal Grooves,” it’s not too difficult to see why this four-minute, 52-second new wave/indie song is well suited for summer. The song’s relaxed, repetitive chorus, lyrics, and tempo allow for daydreaming of being at a beach on the West Coast to run wild. Its calming lyrics that tell a story of a budding romance add to the lovely aura. The light, hummed guitar sound of the chorus makes you feel like you’re in a coming-of-age movie and elicits rolling your windows down and blasting at full volume. Give this song a listen this summer if you are looking for an addicting song to pair the vibes of summer.  

7: “Trap Queen” by Fetty Wap. This outrageously popular rap song, which peaked at number two on the Billboard Hot 100 in mid-2015, offers year-round energy. However, the lyrics and the vibes make it a thrilling summer song. Wap’s infectious vocals make it hard not to scream the lyrics about his love life. Its chorus matches the feeling of a great summer party where everyone is having fun and energy is sky-high. The ability of “Trap Queen” to fit many situations, like motivation for working out or hosting a pool party, only adds to its credentials as a summer banger. It’s hard to imagine summer without hearing its hooking beat and easily memorable adlibs. Give “Trap Queen” a listen this summer, even if it’s indulging in its greatness by hearing it blasting from another car stereo nearby.    

8: “Doses and Mimosas” by Cherub. This five-minute, 23-second electronic pop song from 2013 has a beat that captures the essence of summer. While the lyrics may not tell the greatest story, and the vocals sound a little autotuned, this song is one that deserves to be yelled at the top of your lungs. The chorus is vibrant and includes an ecosystem of instruments that come together in perfect harmony to create a wonderful sound that blesses your ears. MTV called it a “bouncy summer jam,” a description exemplified by the beachy scenes of the music video, which has 65 million views on YouTube.  

9: “Electric Love” by BØRNS. This 2014 electronic pop song is one of the most enthusiastic, colorful songs you will ever hear, flawlessly fitting what summer is. The song is very high intensity, with stunning hooks and killer riffs that make you want to dance and scream. The vocals are great and tell a wonderful love story. “Electric Love” is perfect for warm summer nights of any occasion and merits a spot on all summer song playlists.  

10: “Heatstroke” by Calvin Harris, Young Thug, Pharrell Williams and Ariana Grande. This three-minute, 49-second funk song is unlike anything you’ve ever heard. Peaking at 96 on the Billboard Hot 100 in 2017, this song combines all the elements of a great summer song. The cohesive vocals of Thug, Williams and Grande add to the bright imagery of tanning on a beach. Harris’ beat is astronomically hooking and will get your attention for its hip-hop, dance, pop, and funk elements, along with its diverse use of instruments. The song can mold into any situation well, whether it’s at a club, a beach or a gym. Harris tweeted in 2017 that the song was designed and produced specifically to make you feel incredible. This summer, add “Heatstroke” to your playlist and elevate your happy vibes.