Taylor Swift eras tour movie provides true experience for fans unable to attend in person

In Nov. 2022, tickets for the presale of Taylor Swift’s Eras tour went on sale. While presale codes were sent out to 1.5 million fans, their chances of securing tickets were about 1 in 20. The general sale was canceled shortly after, and millions of fans were left empty-handed. 

In late September, Swift announced that “Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour” would premiere worldwide on Oct. 13. All fans were eager to see the movie, whether it would be to relive their experience or see the entire show for the first time.   

The movie is two hours and 49 minutes long, featuring the entire setlist of the tour, excluding “No Body, No Crime” with Haim, “Long Live,” “The Archer,” “Cardigan” and “Wildest Dreams.” Two of Swift’s surprise songs were shown: “Tim McGraw” and “You’re on Your Own, Kid.” It features video from the first performance in Glendale and the last performance in Los Angeles.    

Much of the tour was spread across the internet, giving many who didn’t attend a peek into certain aspects of the concert. The movie, however, covered much more of the tour. It features in-depth details like audience reactions and dialogue between songs. The audience also gets unique angles of the concerts, highlighting specific details and effects on stage that may have gone unnoticed by many otherwise. Viewers see details like the stage displaying a photo of Swift’s guitar during “Fearless” and slowly showing a cracking effect as she performs her song “Delicate.” We can also see her nails up close, which are each painted a different color, one representing each album she has released. 

The combination of these factors helped many fans without tickets find a way to get an in-depth experience of the concert in a much more attainable way. 

Sophomore Lily Hartley is a Swift fan who was disappointed to miss out on the concert.  

“I kind of just lived through it on TikTok. I also had a friend who went, so she showed me some videos,” Hartley said. 

Hartley was impressed with the movie experience. 

“You saw a lot of the same things as the concert, and it has the same wow factor,” Hartley said.