New district-wide policies create mixed emotions from students

As the school year began, every student probably noticed some changes from within a lot of his or her classes. Some of these classroom changes include new desk arrangements, new ways for teachers to attain their students’ attention and the enforcement of using Cornell Notes.

Principal Dr. Ed Bennett is in absolute support of these new policies.

“The new desk arrangements were a result of Kagan training that some of the teachers received over the summer. The purpose is to increase student engagement and achievement,” Bennett said.
However, some students believe that these new desk arrangements do not serve that purpose. “I believe it is very ineffective. I think most conversations I have had while seated in Kagan pods have been related to how awful they are. It makes me feel like I am a little kid,” sophomore Noah Rhoades said.

Some, less extensive opinions argue that the desk arrangements make it hard to take notes. Students facing away from the front of the room have to turn every time to take notes, which can be inefficient.
Bennett wishes, however, that more teachers would switch over.

“I would like all teachers to be trained on Kagan strategies and kids tend to like it more than sitting in straight rows; it creates better relationships,” he said.
Another change of policy involves the usage of Cornell Notes, which Bennett also supports. “Every secondary school is implementing Cornell Notes. Cornell Notes are better because brain research tells us the more ways students process information, the more likely they are to retain it,” he said.

However, it is apparent that the new desk arrangements are not fully supported by the student body.
“I believe that Cornell Notes are in theory a good concept. However, forcing all students to use them has created problems. Some students know what note taking styles suit them best, and obviously they have worked if they are doing well in the classes. Personally, I do not like Cornell Notes, they are not adapted to my learning style and I would prefer that they are not forced upon me,” sophomore Miles Kay said.

On the other hand, some students like the new style of note taking. “Cornell Notes make it easier for me to study with and they help me organize my notes better,” sophomore Bella Mancuso said.

Although there are some students who support to a certain degree the new policies, many of the students wish it were as it was during previous years.

Overall, Bennett previously believed that the students were reacting well to these new policies. “I have heard mixed reviews. Most students like Kagan because it gives them more opportunities to interact with their peers. Cornell Notes are not as popular because they are harder to take than regular notes,” Bennett said. Though, it is clear now that the students may be reacting worse than he first believed. These new policies established have indeed sparked controversy among the student body.