The Register

The Register

The Register

Academic Decathlon finds success at state

Jennifer Kawecki

Central’s Academic Decathlon team brought home four medals from the state competition in February. 

Academic Decathlon is an academic competition where students compete in 10 subject fields – art, economics, essay, interview, language and literature, mathematics, music, science, social science and speech. These topics are tested in a series of seven multiple-choice tests, a speech, an interview, and a timed essay. All these subjects are based around one central theme.  

Medalists included sophomore Chloe Wilkins, who got first in Large School Interview. The other medalists included junior Shelby Storz, who won a gold in literature and a silver in speech, and sophomore Avalon Sperry won a gold medal as the highest overall scorer on the team. Central placed fifth in Superquiz, a quiz bowl-like setting with questions for each team, and finished 10th overall. 

Both coaches, English teacher Matthew Kable and librarian Jennifer Kawecki, are in their third school year coaching Acadeca. Both teachers were also “decathletes” in high school, which inspired them to coach for Central.  

“I love the curriculum,” Kawecki said on why she joined the then club, “and there were students who wanted a coach, so that really pushed me.” Acadeca was formerly a club but is now in its second year as a class. It has been a semester class only, but starting in the 2024-2025 school year, it will be an entire year.  

The theme for the 2023-2024 school year was Technology and Humanity. Regarding the theme, Kawecki said, “I loved [the theme]. It was very relevant to our students today.” The past two years’ themes were Water and The American Revolution. 

Students explored this theme through all the subject fields. “The Lathe of Heaven” by Ursula K. Le Guin was the novel that was read. “I enjoyed this year more because the novel was more interesting,” Kable said. “It was easier for the kids to get into it because it was more science-fictiony.” They also listened to music from sci-fi movies like “Star Wars” and “Forbidden Planet.” 

Sophomore Chloe Wilkins, one of the state medalists, also enjoyed the book and theme. “The book was great; it was very interesting,” Wilkins said. 

Wilkins joined Acadeca by mistake while making her schedule last year. “I joined because I thought I would be selling cookies!” Wilkins said. She struggled at first in the class with confusion and anger over the confusion, “but the more I paid attention and the more I got into it, the more I liked the class,” Wilkins said.  

Junior Vanessa Perez-Durham took the class for the second time this year. “I really enjoyed the class and the competitions [last year],” Perez-Durham said. Being an Acadeca veteran, Perez believes this gave her the upper hand in competitions. She knew what to expect and was better prepared.  

“At each one of the scrimmages, we had multiple people medal,” Kable said. There were scrimmages in November and December where a handful medaled at each. Then, at regionals, eight out of the nine students medaled.  

Going into state, Kable said the mood was quite frantic and full of nervousness. “There was franticness in getting speeches finished,” he said. “But once they get through that Saturday, it was a much more enjoyable experience.”  

Wilkins never doubted her ability to succeed. “I knew that I was going to walk out with a medal,” she said. “And I knew it would be in speech or interview.” Her confidence paid off as she did just that: a first-place medal in the interview.   

Students who are even slightly interested are encouraged to join. “Don’t be afraid to try new things,” Perez-Durham said. “It may be the best choice you could make!”