Central swim alum excels at USD

Central alumnus Christina Spomer has been dominating the University of South Dakota’s swim team for the last three years.  

“My favorite part about being a collegiate swimmer is probably getting to say I am a D1 athlete. It’s not something that a lot of people can say so I think that makes it cool and special,” Spomer said.  

Sophomore season Spomer earned All-Summit League honors as a member of two relays. Alongside those relays she placed sixth in the 50-meter freestyle (23.09 seconds), seventh in the 100 Freestyle (51.42) and 15th in the 100 breaststroke (one minute, 5.37 seconds) and won the 50 freestyle on four different occasions during the season while going a perfect 13 for 13 in top 10 finishes in the event.  

This season Spomer has placed in all meets thus far. At the Augie Invitational, hosted by Augustana University, Spomer placed 10th in the 50 Freestyle, 12th in the 100 freestyle, and 11th in the 100 breaststroke. In the Coyote Invitational hosted by the University of Souix Falls, Spomer placed 10th in the 50 Freestyle, 16th in the 100 breaststroke and 25th in the 100 freestyle.  

Spomer is dominating the academic side too, as freshman and sophomore year she made the Summit League honor roll. As a sophomore she was named to the Academic All-Summit League, CSC Academic All-District, and was named to the Summit League Commissioner’s List of Academic Excellence.  

“The biggest challenge is probably being able to balance school and all of the required practices we have to attend. It is definitely a learning curve,” Spomer said.  

During Spomer’s time at Central she was a National Honors Society member. She competed at state all four years her top events being the 50 freestyle, 100 freestyle, 200-freestyle relay and the 400-freestyle relay, earning herself the title of a 10-time state placer, five in individual events and five times in relays.  

“Central prepared me when it came to doing two practices a day and balancing school. It was a tough schedule but that definitely prepared me for now,” Spomer said. “The coaches were also able to help with my speed and technique to give me a good foundation for college swimming. 

“Kristoff Berzins, Brendon Smith, and Cassie Jahn always pushed me with tough sets and that only made me stronger and faster throughout my time at Central.” 

Spomer is starting to prepare for her senior season as a coyote. “For this season it’s just to get best times but also to enjoy it. It’s my last season swimming really ever so cherishing every moment is going to be a big one!”