The Register

The Register

The Register

Quaint Sam’s Leon Mexican and Tortilleria restaurant sparks nostalgia

One of my core memories from last semester was when I went to a Mexican restaurant with my dad on a school day. I had pictures to take at Arnold Clark, and the only available times were during class, so we ended up pulling me out that morning. Upon arriving we were informed the photoshoot would take longer than my dad could have stayed. Accordingly, we left, and instead of him taking me back to school, he asked me if I wanted to go eat lunch. Naturally, I said yes. 

Ten minutes later, we arrived outside of a restaurant called Sam’s Leon Mexican Food and Tortilleria on South 20th Street. It was in a quaint spot right in the middle of a neighborhood, somewhere you wouldn’t normally stumble upon by chance. We walked inside and up to the counter as if we’d been there a million times, and my dad ordered after regarding the menu for a split second. I did the same. That day we bonded over a meal as he told me about how he discovered Sam’s back when they didn’t have indoor dining. The place had expanded since.  

Recalling this moment, I decided to revisit this spot with my mom. We went on a Sunday, and it got busier the longer we stayed. I could tell it was a place that had many regulars.  

When ordering, the staff was very amiable and assisted in giving recommendations when I asked for them. I ended up settling on a lengua taco, which is made from cow tongue, and a chicken enchilada, while my mom ordered the grande burrito. It is a very affordable place, and the cost for the two of us came out to be roughly $20.  

The decorations of the place screamed authenticity. There were hints of Mexican culture everywhere, including the flag, the music playing, figures, photographs on the wall—everything from the way Sam’s was set up to the very atmosphere the people brought. The tables were appropriately spaced out with accommodation for the different sized parties. The one thing that both me and my mom commented on was the lack of artificial lighting, and because they relied on natural light, it was awkwardly lit in certain locations of the restaurant.  

The food came very quickly, and my mom and I dug in. The enchilada can be summed up in one word: delicious. It was the same thing I had ordered when I’d gone to eat with my dad, it left an impression on me. I went back to the restaurant for that dish alone. The lengua taco was also very good—the meat was tender, and the sauce was just the right amount of spicy. My mom enjoyed her burrito as well. She found the portion to be hearty, and she ended up taking half of it back for my dad, who also liked it.  

As we dined and more people poured in, I saw the appeal of the place more. The groups engaged in conversation just like my mom and I did, and I found myself thinking about how Sam’s now served as a good memory for me regarding both of my parents.  

Sometimes, there is a connection between our senses and our memories, and I find that the best experiences should be able to draw nostalgia out. The recollection of Sam’s never fails to bring back those feelings, and I believe it holds a special place in the hearts of all new diners and regulars.