things to do during peak picnic season

Spring is here: birds are singing, the grass is turning green, and the flowers are blooming. This time of year is perfect to get out a quilt or a blanket and have a picnic. Lay in the sun and embrace Earth’s natural beauty after the long, harsh winter we have endured.  

Here is a list of 16 things to do during a picnic.  

1.Eat food. Sandwiches, watermelon, strawberries, blueberries, muffins or baguettes are just a few of the options. Or make it fancy! Maybe you would want to go to Canes or another fast-food restaurant and bring it to the picnic.  

2.Watch the sunrise/sunset. Just think how beautiful this would be, enjoying the orange and pink tones in the sky. It is an amazing sight.  

3.Picnic by the lake. Go to Lake Cunningham or Lake Zorinsky and get some friends together to enjoy each other’s company.  

4.Bring a deck of cards or board games. Picture this: an intense game of Monopoly on a warm spring evening at a picnic. You are not only enjoying nature, but you have a fun activity to go along with it.  

5.Painting/Coloring. Either by yourself or with a friend or two, do some fun art. You can take inspiration from the trees and the breeze around you.  

6.Reading. Are you finishing a novel? Maybe a mystery, or a classic? Reading in a calm space with the sun is breathtaking; you should try it! But make sure you bring sunglasses so you can read the pages! 

7.People watching. Some people may think this is creepy, but I disagree. You are admiring the people around you. Maybe it’s the old man on a stroll, a child learning how to ride a bike, or watching people fly kites. People are so interesting; we need to take a step back and realize everyone is living a unique experience. 

8.Hammocking. Embrace your outdoor self and invest in a hammock. It is a relaxing way to spend a lazy afternoon and reconnect with yourself and nature.  

9.Company with a pet. Most people take their dogs on walks, but what about sitting with your pet at a park or in your front yard? 

10.Fly a kite. The kid in you wants to fly a kite. Pick up one from Target, Walmart, or the Dollar Store, and watch your childhood dreams fly into the sky.  

11.Hike and then picnic. Pack a few sandwiches in your bag and take to the hills. Admire the bullfrogs in creeks and the high-flying birds. When you get to the point that you need a break: sit down on a branch, the forest floor, or find a table and munch down.  

12.Journaling. Reflecting on your past week or even looking into the future is one way to stay calm in the busy finals season just around the corner. Being in the calm environment provided by birds and the breeze is one way to start a diary entry.  

13.Crocheting/Knitting. Pick up a new hobby: learn to crochet, knit, or continue with these skills and make cool new creations.  

14.Cloud Watching. “I see a baby in the sky.” “NO! That looks like a walrus.”  

15.Homework. Take a break from the indoors and take your studying into the wild. Just kidding! However, relocating to do a homework picnic session in the park can help break up the stressful times of studying and homework. 

16.Bird Watching. Last but certainly not least, do as my grandfather would. Get some binoculars and zoom in to watch the life of a bird.