The Register leaves its mark on Editors-in-Chief

Cris Bataillon
Co-editors in chief Charlie Yale and Ella Levy pose outside of Register classroom

We’re lucky to have been students of The Register. 

The story of our time at Central High School has been intertwined with our involvement in The Register since our freshman year. 

Ella Levy: When signing up for freshman classes all I wanted to do was write. I signed up for every writing elective and luckily was placed in journalism. The following year, however, my interests had changed, and I did not sign up for the newspaper. Hillary Blayney, the former adviser, told me I had talent, and that newspaper was the right place for me, so I joined The Register. 

Charlie Yale: I can’t remember whether I selected Journalism 1-2 as an elective, or whether I was randomly placed into it during my first semester at Central. I knew that I wanted to join The Register thereafter. But – whatever happened – it became one of the most impactful classes that I will ever take.   

EL: Charlie and I had freshman journalism together. When the class was online no one talked. When we switched to in-person, nothing changed. We were spread throughout the class and people were too far to talk to. But Charlie and I were already friends, so this didn’t faze us. So instead of talking in class, we would text. 

Even though we were very close, things always felt like a competition. We had the same number of articles published and always pushed to get the next one out before the other. I remember hearing his mom liked me because I pushed him to be better. But I also pushed Charlie into trouble, something his mom did not thank me for. 

We skipped one of our journalism classes at the end of the year. I had skipped lunch earlier in the year and didn’t get caught, so I assumed it was a fool proof plan. However, Charlie’s mom asked about his reported absence, and he cracked immediately. The next day, Charlie confessed this to me in journalism, and our whole story was busted in front of our teacher. But she didn’t care. I think she was more proud than concerned. 

Over the next two years Charlie and I stayed out of trouble. In our roles, we contributed to the betterment of The Register. But Blayney would still be proud as we now have broken out of our shells as co-editors-in-chief. At the end of our tenure, we look back and understand the full importance of the experience that we’ve had.  

C: Now, as the co-editor of the paper alongside Ella, I realize the importance not only of journalism, but everything else that comes with being on the paper. On The Register, people need to learn to have difficult conversations and resolve conflicts. As a microcosm of a real-world publication, we face the same challenges as they do on a level attainable and understandable to high schoolers. As editors, we have pushed each other to be better in our respective areas of interest, not just for personal growth but for the growth of the publication. We reported not only on issues affecting our school, but issues affecting Nebraska and the world to foster a more informed, engaged and active student body.