College rejection advice from a hopeful senior

Daisy Friedman, Editor in Chief

The college admissions process in known for being brutal. Especially this year, when seniors don’t have much else to do, the college process is frequently on my mind. I have had a dream school picked out since the beginning of my junior year. I spent countless hours on their website planning my class schedule, researching the bios of professors, and even planning out which sweatshirt I would purchase when decision day rolled around.  

So much of my self-esteem was riding on my acceptance to that college that rejection wasn’t an option. When Dec. 14 rolled around, I was wrong. Rejection was an option, and I was rejected. I was truly devastated. I didn’t know what I was going to do. I spent so much time pouring my soul into that application, and I didn’t think I wanted to go anywhere else. Momentarily, it felt like my life was over.  

To all of the seniors who will face rejection this spring, your life is not over; your life is truly only beginning. I recommend taking a week for your emotions: cry, scream, do whatever you need to do, but after a week take a breath and calm down. I know its cliché to say, but you will end up where you are meant to be. Even if it’s not in the fall of 2021, maybe it’ll be the next year. Be patient with yourself. This year has been difficult for everyone, so let yourself struggle, but know you are not alonePlease remember that a rejection from a college is no reflection of your self-worth. 

I’m right there with you. After getting rejected from my top school, I had to frantically send in ten more applications and now, like you, I’m waiting. I’m anxious and unsure, but I know I’ll end up where I’m meant to be, and I know you will too.