The Register

The Register

The Register

When is the proper time to decorate for the holidays?

Ella

The time is coming when people are starting to decorate for the holiday season, but when is the proper time to decorate? The official start of winter, which many assume is the proper time, is Dec. 21. This seems to be extremely late, but before Halloween seems entirely too early.  

Many decorate for the holidays after Halloween because that is when a lot of the holiday drinks are released, the weather gets colder, snow may start to fall and holiday music starts to be played more often on the radio. 

The first day of November is the proper time to decorate for the holidays. You are leaving Halloween and all the fall decorations in October, with only one exception — Thanksgiving. I think, when decorating the day after Halloween, the decorations should be minimal, and as you creep closer to the holiday season, you add more. That way, when Thanksgiving comes around, you are still able to have some of the fall decorations out to celebrate that holiday.  

Once Thanksgiving is done, though, it is full swing into the holiday season, with all the holiday movies, drinks, scents, baking, pajamas and traditions that many partake in.  

I believe that decorating for the holidays around the beginning of November is the best option because you have been able to enjoy the fall decorations for about three months. Normally, you find a lot of people decorating for fall around the end of August to the beginning of September, and once Thanksgiving comes around, you have reached those three months.  

This is just in time for the holiday season to creep up and to start taking down those fall decorations to put up all the holiday décor. Once it becomes November and the weather gradually becomes less enjoyable, but before all the snow starts falling, putting up holiday decorations is the perfect pastime. 

Some believe that the holiday decorations should go up after Thanksgiving because it is still its own holiday and deserves to have its own decorations. However, when Thanksgiving comes around, you are starting to near the end of the enjoyment of those seasonal fall decorations. Everything is starting to die, and it feels more like winter than fall around Thanksgiving, especially in the Midwest. While, yes, Thanksgiving is its own holiday, you still have some decorations out from the fall, making it easier on Nov. 24 (the day after Thanksgiving) to “Deck the Halls” and go all out with your holiday decorations.