Apply2College campaign draws over 400 seniors, results in over 800 applications

Over 400 seniors completed college applications through EducationQuest’s Apply2College program this October.  

The campaign called students down to counselor Angela Meyer’s office every Tuesday during the month, where several advisors were on standby to assist students using the Common App, Naviance or an online application form. 

The Apply2College program is part of a national effort by EducationQuest to help high school seniors prepare for their futures. Central has been using EducationQuest to assist with applying to college for years, and Meyer said this year’s results are typical to those past but that it took more effort than it used to. 

“Block scheduling makes it more difficult to reach students,” Meyer said. Still, more than 800 applications were filled throughout October. 

Individually, however, the program was quite simple. Seniors received passes to travel to Meyer’s office during class on Tuesdays. Upon arrival, they were asked about any applications they had already completed. From there, students received assistance with linking their Naviance to the Common App, acquiring recommendation letters, and filling out applications to local and state schools. They then were given a free T-shirt and a bag of Wild Berry Skittles and sent on their way. 

Meyer urges students who have not yet completed an application not to worry, as it is normal for seniors. What is important is that they are thinking about their futures. 

Whether your plan is to go to college, enlist in the military, attend a trade school or direct employment, it is important to have a Plan A, B and C,” Meyer said. “If students need help with their desired plan, we have counselors ready to help students take that next step.” 

College planning aid does not stop in October for Meyer. She works yearlong to help students prepare for the future. Eagles in need are encouraged to reach out at [email protected] or make an appointment to meet in Room 134. 

“If students have not completed their college application, it’s never too late,” Meyer said. “Every day is Apply2College day in my office!”