The Register

The Register

The Register

New Dundee restaurant opening early March

Ooh De Lally is a new restaurant in Dundee aiming to open to the public by the first week of March. It will be working with the Metropolitan Community College’s 180 Re-entry Assistance Program (RAP) to help formerly incarcerated people transition into the working world.  

“This should help them overcome the stigma of incarceration and provide them a path forward in their lives,” Executive Director of Ooh De Lally Tim Steinbach said.  

Replacing the previous location of Mark’s, 4916 Underwood Ave., Ooh De Lally will be serving American cuisine and two prominent Mark’s dishes, mac and cheese and bread pudding.   

The 180 RAP program gives former prisoners the opportunity to train for jobs across many industries. It is the largest on-campus re-entry program in the United States, working with over 370 employers. The program began in February 2015 and has served more than 9,000 people exiting prisons, jails and treatment centers. 

After completing a three-segment curriculum where they learn about prep cooking, line cooking and serving, three program participants will work alongside three industry professionals each month. The participants can then choose to enroll in MCC’s Institute for Culinary Arts. 

“The main goal is to help people coming out of incarceration. We will do that by providing training in the food service industry so they will be able to gain experience in an industry with high demand,” Steinbach said. 

During training, the program participants will be provided the necessities for transitioning into the working world. 

“This partnership will enable the trainees to focus on their training and not have to worry about financial stressors centered around transportation, housing, parole fees, hygiene, food, etc.,” said Diane Good Collins, director of the 180 RAP. 

Each staff member is someone whose life experiences are tied to the mission of Ooh De Lally. A board of directors governs and raises funds for the nonprofit. 

“My absolute favorite part of the process has been watching the team come together and build a working relationship focused on the goal of helping others through the medium of food,” Steinbach said.