Central students experience Broadway show “The Lion King”

Courtesy+of+Gerald+Ramsey+
Courtesy of Gerald Ramsey

HAKUNA MATATA! What a wonderful phrase!  

Central students experienced the performance of a lifetime during the March 19 Broadway performance of “The Lion King” at the Orpheum Theater. Students were able to watch the show and interact with several cast members after the performance. 

Sitting in the orchestra section of the Orpheum, students got to experience the magic up close as cast members would make their way down the isles throughout the show, giving the audience a chance to see the intricate detailing of their costumes and the talent they carry as they are singing, dancing, and holding props while moving down the isles to get on stage.  

Talkbacks, where the cast answers questions from the audience, and other outreach opportunities have always been offered by “The Lion King” but need to be requested, causing availability and frequency to change from venue to venue. Central students were extremely lucky with this opportunity, as many other musicals and shows do not offer a chance to interact with the cast.  

Students asked questions about if cast members ever get nervous before shows, how the cast members got started in the performing arts industry, and what it was like to perform with a large show. 

Cast member Eric Bean Jr. joined “The Lion King” tour in 2017 and is the show’s dance captain, swing, and an understudy for Ed, one of the hyenas. He told the students about what it is like being the dance captain on the show, what some of the most difficult parts of the show are, what the preparation for shows looks like, and how he was introduced to the performing arts. 

“I actually grew up on the island of Bermuda and during my childhood had no idea that performing was something that I wanted to do,” Bean Jr said. “It wasn’t until I joined the performance team of Pride Youth Programs and was cast in a summer production of a theatrical traveling road show that I realized how much I loved it.” 

Talkbacks are not just exciting for the students and audience but also for the cast members; they allow the cast to interact with those they perform for. “It provides an opportunity to both educate participants about the show while simultaneously inspiring them about the opportunities and possibilities that can be provided through the arts,” Bean Jr. said.  

Having talkbacks like the one Central students attended allows students to learn more about the work of art and performing. Creating those experiences enables students to dive deeper into interests and things that they could pursue as a career.  

“I love interacting with students and the audience. I actually have a degree in education (dance and choreography), and teaching is one of my passions. Inspiring hopefully the future artists and performers is always exciting,” Bean Jr. said.