The new addition fosters growth over time

Rakhija Abdalla Mohammed
Central art students work on projects in the new addition.

The Central High Foundation donated $18 million to Omaha Central High School to build an additional wing of the school that is used for visual and performing arts. 

Before the new addition was completed in March 2019, visual arts were taught on the fourth floor. They were in one sizable room, and rolling cabinets were used to divide the classroom. There were three to four classes in this room at a time. The room was divided by cabinets, and each teacher was talking over each other, making it difficult for the students to hear. The students also felt crowded in this environment, with little room to expand. 

The new addition has five music classrooms and four individual practice rooms. The upstairs floor has more spacious classrooms. This has allowed teacher’s class sizes to grow.  

Senior Ella Jaksha has been in the visual arts program all four years of high school. “I was drawn to go to Central over any other school because of the arts department,” Jaksha said.

Libby Cruz, an art teacher at Central who has taught in the old classroom and in the new addition, explained she is grateful to have the space to create an atmosphere that feels right for each of her classes. 

This space has also provided the students with an extra kiln and sink in every classroom. Central hired another art teacher because of the increase in students enrolled in art classes. In Jaksha’s art, she looks to make her pieces big. She said, “They encourage you to go big because they have the space.”  

The new addition provides the students with a refinished place with natural light. “The space is such a unique opportunity,” Jaksha commented. Cruz expressed that having this type of learning environment grants her students a feeling of importance.  

Senior Bobby Winton has been involved in the music department since his freshman year, participating in band, orchestra and a capella, to name a few. Winton emphasized the importance that the students have the space and opportunity to practice and learn in school so they can grow outside of school.  

The space allows for people of every level of vocal and instrumental music to participate in a music class. Whether a student has been playing their whole life or has never picked up an instrument, they can play at Central. “The opportunity is always there,” Winton said. “Seeing everyone be able to work together with all different levels of what they want to do after high school is just really amazing to see.” 

The Central High Foundation regularly donates to this department, and occasionally it receives new instruments. Having such a nice facility helps the students to keep pushing to be the best they can be. “It makes me like all of the work the students are putting in is worth it,” Winton said. “It makes us feel like we’re doing something.”