The Register

The Register

The Register

Central choir starts placements for the upcoming school year

Omaha Central High School has started putting the pieces together to organize choir placements for the 2024-2025 school year. This year the organizing process for Central choir starts with Director Sara Cowan for students interested in joining Omaha Central’s choir program. 

“We meet one-on-one with every student who is interested in joining choir and talk to them about their previous experiences with singing and music in general,” Cowan said.   

Central’s choir has a total of five choirs consisting of A Cappella, Bel Canto, Junior Choir, Mixed Choi, and CHS Singers.  With choir placement, Cowan is able to assign each student into one of the five choirs that sounds best for them. 

“We place students in one of the choirs so that they know which classes to register for,” Cowan said. 

For some students like sophomore Izzy Worden, choir and singing have been a known decision to them. Worden has been singing from a very young age and continues to sing throughout high school. With Warden’s singing experience, she is set on what path she wants to continue in Central’s choir program but says knowing you will have a spot is what she enjoys about choir placements.  

“What I like about Central choir is that there is a spot for everybody, whether it’s in Junior Choir, Mixed Chorus, Bel Canto or A Capella,” Worden said. 

For other students such as sophomore Ada Jantzen who are interested in choir but don’t exactly know what they want to do, choir placements have been a great start. Jantzen has had an interest in singing but wasn’t sure where she would fit in for choir. 

“I knew I wanted to join choir, I just wasn’t sure what would be best for me not knowing that much about singing,” Jantzen said. “I feel like this is a good opportunity to start though especially with extra help from teachers on what would be best for me.”