How important is a student’s at-home work area?

With OPS deciding to hold remote learning for at least the first quarter of the 2020-2021 school year, students found themselves quickly searching for a place to settle down for a few weeks to participate in their classes.

Jaden Cheloha, Staff Writer

With OPS deciding to hold remote learning for at least the first quarter of the 2020-2021 school year, students found themselves quickly searching for a place to settle down for a few weeks to participate in their classes. Luckily, Central issued each student an iPad, which can handle pretty much everything needed to learn at home. Some are perfectly fine with just their iPad and a place to
handwrite their notes, but others can feel like they need a little bit more than what has been provided to boost their productivity. So, the real question here is exactly how important is a student’s work area for school?
For me, I already had a computer, a good-sized desk, and a place to store all of my textbooks and papers, so I was already prepared to use those for classes. While I can see myself being perfectly okay with using the iPad for online learning, I definitely prefer using a computer because switching
between assignments and organizing my desktop is a lot less tedious. On the other hand, people might not care all that much about having these specific materials to use for school.
“I don’t really have [an at-home learning solution] because I bounce around from multiple places,” junior Ella Larsen said. So, having a fully decked-out place to attend school doesn’t matter all that much. If you want all the accessories and space to have the best possible learning
experience, that’s a perfectly okay option, but if the school-provided iPad and any reasonable area is all you need, then your pretty much set for remote learning.